Pasta with Chickpea-Tomato Sauce
A protein-rich, homemade tomato sauce tossed with pasta shells makes for a quick and easy dinner.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas
- Coarse salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
- 12 ounces medium pasta shells
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, red-pepper flakes, and fresh black pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds (do not brown). Add chickpeas, season with salt, and cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until sauce has reduced slightly, 20 minutes. Add basil and cook 5 minutes more. Remove basil.
While sauce is cooking, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain pasta and return to pot.
Add sauce to pasta and toss. Garnish with olive oil and fresh grated Parmesan.
SourceMad Hungry, March 2011