Pot Roast with Bacon and Vegetables
A hearty braise is perfect comfort food. Fresh herbs and flavorful liquids, combined with long, slow cooking, transform inexpensive cuts of beef and humble vegetables into a rich and filling one-pot dinner. Although it may not be quick, it couldn't be easier.
- 1/2 pound slab bacon, diced small
- 1 beef chuck roast (4 pounds), tied
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup dry red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 pound small white potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 1 bunch small carrots (about 6), cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups pearl onions, trimmed and peeled
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain; set aside.
Pat beef dry, season with salt and pepper, and add beef to pot. Increase heat to high and cook, turning with tongs, until browned on all sides. Transfer beef to a plate; pour off fat from pot.
Reduce heat to medium and add butter and yellow onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 6 minutes.
Add garlic and rosemary; cook until mixture is fragrant, 3 minutes. Add wine and 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits with a wooden spoon, about 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and juice and season with salt and pepper. Return beef to pot along with any juices and bring to a simmer over high. Cover, transfer to oven, and cook until beef is almost tender, about 3 hours.
Remove pot from oven and place potatoes, carrots, celery, pearl onions, and reserved bacon around roast. Cook until vegetables and beef are tender, about 1 hour. Remove beef from pot and let rest 15 minutes, then slice against the grain; arrange on a platter with vegetables and drizzle with braising liquid.