Creature from the underworld or walking garden ornament? Either way, your little one will look adorable in this handmade costume from TV crafter Kristin St. Clair, created for our Dollar-Store Costume Challenge.
Tools and Materials
- Large T-shirt
- Two pairs black knee-high socks
- Gold foil candy
- Sneakers or work boots
- Baby bib
- Cotton balls
- Fabric glue
- Large red bag or large piece of red paper
- Craft knife or scissors
- Double-sided tape
- Spun-Cotton Mushroom Ornaments, optional
Gnome Costume How-To
- For the robe, use a large T-shirt and a knee-high sock for a belt. Make the buckle by decoupaging gold foil candy wrappers over a buckle shape cut from cardboard.
- Cover sneakers or work boots with black socks to make gnome boots.
- To make beard, begin with a baby bib for the base. Unroll or stretch cotton balls; twist to make points. Starting at the bottom and working up, use fabric glue to layer cotton onto bib.
- Make the hat with a deconstructed red bag or red paper. Tie a string to a pencil, and trim string to 16 inches. Hold cut end in place at top of paper, pull pencil so string is taut, and draw an arc. Cut along the arc shape and roll paper to form a cone; use double-sided tape to secure.
- Poke holes on sides of hat; use cardboard to reinforce holes. Punch holes in sides of bib and attach to hat with string.
- Tie Mushroom Ornaments to belt, if desired.