"I Scream" Graveyard Pie
Use a dot of melted chocolate to affix candy skulls to cookie "tombstones" set in chocolate "dirt," then brace yourself for shrieks of delight.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, October 2011
- 16 graham crackers, broken into large pieces
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 cup roughly chopped chocolate flaky-crisp candy bars, such as Butterfinger "fun size" (about 8)
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 cup roughly chopped chocolate-coconut candy bars, such as Mounds "snack size" (about 8)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 6 oval chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Milano, halved crosswise
- 12 candy skulls, for decorating
- 20 chocolate wafers, such as Famous
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor, process graham crackers until finely ground (you should have about 2 cups). With motor running, add butter in a slow, steady stream and pulse until combined. Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up side of a 9 1/2-inch pie plate. Bake until crust is dry and set, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in plate on a wire rack, 45 minutes.
In a medium bowl, stir vanilla ice cream with a wooden spoon until smooth. Fold in flaky-crisp candy bars. With a small offset spatula, spread ice cream mixture evenly in crust. Freeze until firm, 1 hour 20 minutes.
Stir chocolate ice cream until smooth. Fold in coconut candy bars and spread evenly on top of vanilla ice cream layer. Freeze until firm, 1 hour.
Meanwhile, with a small spoon, place a dot of melted chocolate at one end of each sandwich cookie half. Immediately top with candy skulls and let set. In clean food processor, pulse wafers until finely ground (you should have about 1 1/4 cups). Spread crumbs on top of pie. With a knife, cut slits for "tombstones" and press cookie halves, cut side down, into slits. Serve immediately.