Chocolate-Candy Icebox Bars
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking pan
- 43 chocolate wafers, such as Famous
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/4 cups natural peanut butter
- 1 cup halved chocolate peanut-nougat candy bars, such as Snickers "minis" (about 12)
- 1 cup chocolate wafer candy bars, such as Kit Kat "snack size" (about 8), cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 bag (11.5 ounces) chocolate crisped-rice candy bars, such as Nestle Crunch "fun size"
Lightly butter a 9-inch square metal baking pan and line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on all sides. Butter parchment. In a food processor, pulse wafers until finely ground (you should have about 2 1/2 cups). Transfer to a large bowl; whisk in confectioners' sugar and salt. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter and peanut butter in 30-second increments, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir into wafer crumb mixture and let cool to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
Fold in nougat and wafer candy bars, then transfer to pan. With a small spatula, press mixture evenly into pan. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. In clean microwave-safe bowl, microwave crisped-rice candy bars in 30-second increments until just melted. Pour over chilled mixture and, with spatula, spread evenly. Refrigerate until set, 20 minutes. Using parchment, lift confection from pan and cut into 27 bars.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2011