Mini Triple-Treat Cupcakes
Who doesn't buy extra Halloween candy? This year, use some in these festive cupcakes and throw a party.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 48
Source: Everyday Food, October 2011
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 48 miniature chocolate peanut-butter cups, such as Reese's
- 48 pieces candy corn, for decorating
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Line two 24-cup mini muffin pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar on high until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and egg yolk, scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined.
With the large end of a melon baller or a spoon, place 2 teaspoons batter into each muffin cup, then press a peanut-butter candy into each center until batter aligns with top edge of candy. Bake until puffed and set, about 10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Immediately place a piece of candy corn on top of each cupcake; let cool completely in pans on wire racks.