Sam's Vegetarian Bean Chili
This vegetarian chili is light yet hearty. Perfect for a weeknight dinner, it comes together in minutes with ingredients you might have handy in your pantry.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Everyday Food, October 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, poblano, and garlic; season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in green chiles, chili powder, and cumin and cook 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes and juice, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender and chili is thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
Suggested toppings: sour cream, fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges, grated Monterey Jack, chopped red onion.