Butternut Squash Soup with Shrimp
Use the other half of your butternut squash to make Braised Chicken with Butternut Squash and Cranberries.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2011
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound frozen large shrimp (peeled and deveined), thawed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 large butternut squash
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Fried sage leaves (optional), for serving
Cut the squash into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium. Add shrimp and cook until opaque throughout, 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate; cover with foil.
Increase heat to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon butter, onion, and chopped sage; cook until onion is softened, 8 minutes. Add squash, cayenne, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer half the mixture to a blender. Add sour cream and puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return to pot along with shrimp; stir to combine. To serve, divide soup among four bowls; top with fried sage leaves, if desired.