Beef and Tomato Stroganoff
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound pappardelle or wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak, patted dry and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 cups reserved tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain.
Add oil to pot and heat over high. Add steak and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add mushrooms to pot and cook until browned and just tender, about 3 minutes. Add steak, reserved tomato sauce, and broth. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer until steak is very tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, then add pasta, tossing to coat with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2011