Black Mission Figs with Toasted Pistachios and Whipped Mascarpone
Sweet figs become event-ready appetizers when topped with crunchy pistachio nuts and creamy mascarpone in this recipe from chef Michael Romano.
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 fresh Black Mission figs
- 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh chervil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fleur de sel
In a medium bowl, whisk together mascarpone and olive oil; season with salt and pepper; transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip. Set aside.
Remove a very thin slice from the bottom of each fig so that it stands upright. Trim the stem end so the tops are flat. Halve figs horizontally.
Pipe 1 tablespoon filling on the top side of each fig half; top each with a chervil leaf. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with chopped pistachios and fleur de sel; serve.