Baked Tomato Casserole
Make a second meal out of Three-Cheese Macaroni by transforming it into this hearty casserole.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2011
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups reserved Three-Cheese Macaroni
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium. Add onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice and cook until tomatoes are heated through, 2 minutes. Add macaroni and cheese, gently stirring to combine. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and basil; season with salt. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish, top with breadcrumbs, and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Bake until sauce is bubbling at edges and breadcrumbs are golden, 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.