Sausage and Spinach Alfredo
Transform Three-Cheese Macaroni into a sophisticated pasta dish, with the addition of sweet Italian sausages and baby spinach.
- Servings: 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2011
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 4 cups reserved Three-Cheese Macaroni
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about 5 cups), washed
- Shredded Parmesan, for serving
In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium. Add red onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add sausages and red-pepper flakes and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 8 minutes. Add reserved macaroni and cheese to skillet, gently stirring to combine. Stir in heavy cream and spinach, and cook until spinach begins to wilt, 4 minutes. To serve, sprinkle with Parmesan.