Under 30 Minutes
This cornbread strikes the right balance between tender and crumbly. Jazz up the batter or shake up the shape by baking it in muffin pans.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room temperature, for pan
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/3 cup chopped drained pickled jalapenos
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined (do not overmix). Stir 1 1/4 cups grated cheddar, corn kernels, and jalapenos into batter. Transfer batter to pan and smooth top. Top with 1/4 cup grated cheddar.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack, 15 minutes, before serving.