Under 30 Minutes
This cornbread strikes the right balance between tender and crumbly. Jazz up the batter or shake up the shape by baking it in muffin pans.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more, room temperature for pan
- 1 1/2 cups yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 pound bacon
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions
Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, let cool, then finely dice.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, buttermilk, and eggs. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined (do not overmix). Stir bacon and scallions into batter. Transfer batter to pan and smooth top.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack, 15 minutes, before serving.