Substitute a low-calorie, low-fat puree for mashed potatoes or use it as a building block for a variety of meals.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cored and cut into florets
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup warmed low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Add additional chicken or vegetable broth and let simmer for a satisfying soup.
- Mix with cream or milk, toss with pasta, and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Stir in more olive oil and fresh herbs and serve with crackers as a light dip.
- For simple ravioli, add roasted garlic; seal between wonton wrappers and cook.
- Spread on crostini and top with chive for an easy appetizer.
Set a steamer basket in a saucepan with 2 inches simmering water. Add cauliflower; cover and steam until very tender, 18 minutes. Transfer cauliflower to a food processor and season with salt and pepper. Add broth and process until smooth, scraping down side as needed (add more broth for a thinner consistency, if desired. To serve, transfer to a bowl, season to taste with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.