Tools and Materials
- Unfinished wood box
- Paints in two contrasting colors
- Soft bristle or foam paintbrushes
- Weather Crackle medium
- For gingham pattern: thin patterning tape
Crackle Painted Box How-To
- Paint box with a solid foundation color. Let dry 24 hours.
- Using a soft bristle or sponge brush, apply Weather Crackle medium liberally with smooth, even strokes. Let dry. Avoid overbrushing.
- Apply contrasting color topcoat (necessary to show cracking). Cracking shows when paint dries. Tip: Dampen brush before using for a smoother topcoat.
To create a gingham design: Instead of crackle medium, apply thin patterning tape at even intervals width- and lengthwise across the box before painting topcoat.
Paint in Eclipse (pearl), Jet Stream (pearl), and Wedding Cake (satin) and painting brushes, tools, and tapes from Martha Stewart Crafts; unfinished wood boxes from woodcrafter.com.