Pear and Cranberry Crisp
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 pounds pears, such as Bartlett or Anjou (about 6), cored, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine oats, 1/3 cup brown sugar, flour, almonds, cinnamon, and salt. With your hands or a pastry cutter, work in butter until large clumps form.
In a large bowl, gently toss together pears, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, ginger (if using), cranberries, and cornstarch. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle with oat mixture.
Bake until juices are bubbling and topping is browned and crisp, 20 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2011