Pressed Ham and Pear Sandwiches
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4
Source: Everyday Food, October 2011
- 8 slices rustic bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 pear, such as Anjou or Bosc, cored and thinly sliced
- Ground pepper
Brush one side of each bread slice with oil; spread mustard on other side. Layer half the cheese on mustard side of 4 bread slices and top with ham, arugula, pear, a sprinkle of pepper, and remaining cheese. Sandwich with remaining bread slices, mustard side down.
Heat a large skillet over medium. Working in batches if necessary, place sandwiches in skillet and weight with another skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook sandwiches, pressing down firmly with skillet, until bread is golden and cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side, flipping once. Serve warm.