Under 30 Minutes
Pear and Frisee Salad with Bacon and Blue Cheese
You can make this salad with endive, escarole, or baby arugula in place of the frisee.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Extra-virgin olive oil, if needed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 small bunches frisee (8 ounces total), trimmed and torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 pears, such as Comice, Bartlett, or Anjou, cored and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 9 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add 2 tablespoons bacon drippings to a large bowl. (If drippings measure less than 2 tablespoons, supplement with oil.) Whisk in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Add frisee, pears, and parsley to bowl and toss to combine. Sprinkle salad with bacon and cheese.
SourceEveryday Food, October 2011