Grilled Steak with Kimchi Butter
A dab of spicy Korean kimchi adds a flavorful new twist to steak. This recipe comes from Marja Vongerichten's "The Kimchi Chronicles."
- Servings: 4
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped Ultimate Cabbage Kimchi, plus 1 tablespoon kimchi liquid
- 4 (1/2-pound) rib eye steaks
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons gochugaru (red pepper powder)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place butter, kimchi, and kimchi liquid in a small bowl; using a fork, mash together until thoroughly combined. Transfer butter to a large piece of plastic wrap and shape into a log, using the plastic to help you. Wrap plastic tightly and transfer to refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up 1 week before using.
Preheat grill to high or preheat a grill pan over high heat. Drizzle steaks with sesame oil; season with red pepper powder, salt, and pepper. Place steaks on grill and cook, turning once, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
Transfer steaks to a cutting board and loosely cover with parchment paper-lined aluminum foil; let stand for 5 minutes.
Transfer steaks to four individual serving plates. Cut butter crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices; top steaks with butter slices and serve.