Under 30 Minutes
Mixed Chicories with Persimmons
Winter lettuces are heartier than most everyday salad greens and have a pleasantly bitter flavor. They stand up well to crunchy walnuts and sweet-tart winter fruits.
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt
For the Salad
- 2 pounds mixed chicories, such as radicchio, Radicchio di Treviso, Palla Rossa, and frisee, torn into 1-inch pieces (18 cups)
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 3 Fuyu persimmons, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Make the dressing: Gradually whisk oil into vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt.
Make the salad: Toss chicories, walnuts, persimmons, and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl. Add vinaigrette, and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.