Under 30 Minutes
Greens with Garlic and Chiles
Tuscan kale (also called dinosaur or lacinato kale) has a slightly sweeter flavor than regular kale. Choose the smaller leaves, which are tender and more mild than larger leaves.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 bunches hearty leafy greens, such as kale, preferably Tuscan, or chard, stemmed and coarsely chopped (16 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chile, such as cayenne or finger, thinly sliced crosswise
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add kale and 2 tablespoons water. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Season with salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until kale is tender, about 15 minutes more.
Clear a space in center of skillet, and add remaining tablespoon oil, the garlic, and chile. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 2011