Eggplant Parm Stacks
Ready in half the time it takes to make traditional eggplant Parmesan, this inventive version is stacked with fresh herbs and melted-cheese goodness.
- Servings: 4
Source: Mad Hungry, Episode 1101
- 1 eggplant (1 1/4 pounds total), sliced crosswise 1/3-inch thick (12 slices total)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Basic Italian Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick (12 slices total)
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- Parmesan for garnish
Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with oven rack in center position.
Brush eggplant slices with 3 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt. Grill 8-10 minutes, flipping once, until charred and soft.
In a medium bowl combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan, pepper, herbs, and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
Place 4 slices grilled eggplant on parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, and slices of mozzarella. Repeat with two more layers. Drizzle with olive oil.
Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Serve with a garnish of olive oil and Parmesan cheese.