Heirloom Tomato Sauce
This basic tomato sauce recipe is as easy as it gets, and it's a wonderful way to use frozen tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen heirloom tomatoes, grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add tomatoes and butter; cook, stirring, until butter has melted. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red-pepper flakes. Let cook until sauce has thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.