Creamy Spiced Oatmeal
Packed with flavor and nutrition, this busy-morning staple is ready in minutes.
- Servings: 4
Source: Mad Hungry, Episode 1101
- 1 cup milk (soy, almond, or rice milk can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 allspice berries (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup rolled oats, preferably organic
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 2 ripe bananas (optional)
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds (optional)
In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and water with the spices and bay leaf over medium heat. Reduce the heat to low and steep for 2 minutes. Add the oats and cook, stirring occasionally, until the oats are tender, between 5 and 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and cover for a minute. Discard the bay leaf and whole spices. Portion into bowls and drizzle with maple syrup, then top with the bananas and almonds, if desired. Serve immediately.