Chocolate Crumb Base
Use chef Kierin Baldwin's irresistible chocolate crumb base to make her Devil's Food Cake with Black Pepper Boiled Icing recipe.
- Yield: Makes one 9-inch round layer cake
Source: The Martha Stewart Show
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chocolate graham-cracker crumbs (from about 7 cookies)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg white
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Place graham cracker crumbs, cocoa powder, turbinado sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor; pulse to combine. Add melted butter and continue pulsing until well combined. Add egg whites and continue pulsing until crumbs begin to stick together.
Trace an 8-inch circle on a piece of parchment paper. Place paper pencil-side down on a baking sheet. Turn crumb mixture out onto parchment and form into a flat, even 8-inch disc, using the tracing as a guide.
Transfer to oven and bake until firm and middle appears dry, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely before using.