Crispy Crunchy Onion Rings
Vidalia onions add a touch of sweetness to these crispy crowd-pleasers.
Source: Mad Hungry, March 2011
- 2 large Vidalia onions, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/3 cups ice-cold water
Place onions in a large bowl filled with cold water and soak 10 minutes.
Heat 2 inches of oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pot to 365 degrees.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Whisk in ice-cold water and place batter bowl over a bowl of ice.
Drain Vidalia onions and dry thoroughly between layers of paper towels.
Working one handful at a time, dip onions in batter, allowing excess to drip back into bowl, and gently place in oil. Fry, turning once, until crisp and golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray to drain and sprinkle with salt to taste.