Under 30 Minutes
Pennoni with Grilled Eggplant, Mint, and Burrata
Grilling the eggplants amps up their smoky flavor. Burrata (a cream-filled mozzarella) melts into the warm pasta, binding the ingredients together to make a silky sauce.
- 5 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red Thai chile, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 1 pound pennoni, rigatoni, or orecchiette, cooked until al dente (1 cup cooking water reserved)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 ounces burrata or mozzarella cheese, torn into pieces
Heat grill to medium. Brush eggplants with oil. Grill, turning occasionally, until soft and cooked through, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let cool. Coarsely chop eggplant.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic until golden, about 3 minutes. Add eggplant and chile; toss to coat. Season with salt.
Toss in pasta, reserved cooking water, and lemon zest and juice. Remove from heat. Stir in burrata and mint.