Simple Spring Vegetable Soup
Bright and full of nutritious veggies, this easy to make soup is a great way to enjoy fresh spring vegetables
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Everyday Food, May 2011
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, cut into 1/4-inch slices, rinsed well, and drained
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and halved
- 4 cups parsley leaves (from 1 bunch)
In a medium pot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high. Add leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until leeks are soft and lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are barely tender, about 10 minutes. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, about 6 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine parsley leaves and 1 tablespoon oil and process until finely chopped. Remove soup from heat and stir in parsley puree.