A warm, cheesy artichoke filling is at the heart of these puff pastry pockets.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 10
- Yield: Makes 40
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (from 3 small cloves)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock, warmed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped (3 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese (1 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook shallot and garlic for 1 minute. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add wine, and cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and stock. Bring to a boil. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, some pepper, and the cayenne. Simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in artichoke hearts, cheeses, thyme, zest, and mustard. Let cool completely. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out puff pastry to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into forty 3-inch squares (you will have pastry left over).
Arrange 1 tablespoon artichoke mixture in center of each square. Brush 2 perpendicular edges with egg wash, and fold over to form a triangle with remaining edges, pressing to seal. Brush 1 corner of triangle with egg wash and join it to the opposite point. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Refrigerate or freeze until firm, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Brush turnovers with egg wash. Bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.