Under 30 Minutes
Baby Bok Choy with Chile, Garlic, and Ginger
Steaming this popular Chinese vegetable with chile, garlic, and ginger spices up its otherwise subtle essence. We love baby bok choy for its small size and tender leaves, but this recipe can also be made with regular bok choy sliced lengthwise into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 red jalapeno chile, seeded (optional) and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound baby bok choy, cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons water
- Coarse salt
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook jalapeno, garlic, and ginger for 1 minute.
Add bok choy and water, and steam, tightly covered, until tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Uncover, and cook until any remaining liquid evaporates. Season with salt.