Start with a boneless pork shoulder. This cut has a great ratio of meat to fat.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- Minced garlic (from 7 to 8 cloves)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
Stir together sage, thyme, salt, garlic, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Arrange pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, on a rimmed baking sheet. Freeze for 20 minutes. Working in 4 batches (1 pound at a time), grind meat in a food processor until only small pieces of fat remain, and mix in about 2 tablespoons spice mixture; transfer to an 8-by-12-inch piece of parchment. Roll into a log. Twist at ends to secure.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October 2011