Barley, Mushroom, and Dill Salad
Barley and mushrooms are typically united in soup, but they also make an excellent salad. Dill adds sweet, herbaceous notes.
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 cremini or white button mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked pearl barley, tossed with 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar while warm
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, sliced on the bias
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
Heat a skillet over high heat. Swirl in 1 tablespoon oil. Cook mushrooms, cap sides down, for 5 minutes. Let cool; slice.
Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup oil, the vinegar, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss together mushrooms, barley, carrot, celery, scallion, and dill. Drizzle vinaigrette over top; toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, September 2011