Toasted Turkey Sandwich with Quick Cucumber Pickles
You could also make this sandwich with thinly sliced deli ham or a mix of cold cuts.
- 1 country-style round bread loaf, (8 inches in diameter), sliced in half horizontally, insides scooped out
- 1/3 cup tapenade or pesto
- 1/2 pound deli turkey, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone, thinly sliced
- 2 medium cucumbers, cut lengthwise into thin wedges
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover inside of both bread halves with an even layer of tapenade or pesto. Arrange turkey on bottom half of bread. Top with zucchini, tomato, and cheese. Sandwich with top half of bread and wrap tightly in foil. Place on a baking sheet and bake until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss cucumbers with vinegar and sugar; season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature, 20 minutes.
Unwrap sandwich and cut into 4 wedges with a serrated knife. Serve with pickled cucumbers.
SourceEveryday Food, July/August 2011