Pasta with Roasted Vegetables and Bacon
Orecchiette are adept at catching the small bits of sweet potato and bacon in this dish, but any shell pasta will work.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces bacon, preferably slab, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, trimmed into 1 1/2-inch florets (about 2 1/2 cups)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces orecchiette
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces), plus more, shaved, for garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels using a slotted spoon. Reserve drippings.
Toss sweet potato, onion, and cauliflower with reserved drippings. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until tender and caramelized, about 35 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot with cooking water, and toss with grated cheese and vegetables. Stir in parsley. Sprinkle bacon over top. Garnish with shaved cheese.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October 2011