Pasta and Bacon in Smoky Tomato Sauce
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Kernick
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced small
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, puréed
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound short, twisted pasta, such as cavatappi or fusilli
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
In a medium saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until fat is rendered and bacon is crisp, 8 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate. Add onion to pan and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and paprika and bring to a boil; reduce to a rapid simmer and cook until sauce has thickened slightly, 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta. Return pasta to pot and add tomato sauce; toss to combine, adding enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Add bacon and parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.