Almond-Grape Tea Cake
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups slivered almonds (1/2 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 18 grapes, halved crosswise
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter and flour an 3-by-8-inch metal loaf pan. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar on high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined, scraping down bowl as needed. In a food processor, pulse almonds and 1/4 cup sugar until finely ground. Add flour and salt and pulse to combine. With mixer on low, beat almond mixture into butter mixture until combined. Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
Transfer batter to pan and smooth top. Press grape halves into batter in rows and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 1 hour, rotating pan halfway through. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack. To serve, remove cake from pan and slice.