Spiced Potatoes and Onions
This side dish packs heat and pairs nicely with our Tandoori-Style Chicken.
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Everyday Food, September 2011
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, diced medium
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 6 sprigs cilantro
Set a steamer basket in a pot with 2 inches simmering water. Add potatoes, cover, and steam until tender when pierced with a knife, 12 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a paper-towel-lined plate.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Add cumin, red-pepper flakes, and potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes are lightly golden, 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and top with cilantro.