The yogurt marinade makes this chicken extra tender and flavorful. The longer you keep it in the marinade the better, which gives it plenty of make-ahead potential.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Everyday Food, September 2011
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 to 4 pounds), rinsed, patted dry, and quartered
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced medium
- 1-inch piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Place chicken in a gallon-size zip-top bag. In a blender, blend yogurt, onion, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, and oil until smooth; season with salt and pepper. Pour marinade over chicken and shake to coat. Refrigerate 4 hours (or up to 1 day).
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place a wire rack in a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Lift chicken from marinade, letting excess drip off. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place, skin side down, on rack. Roast until chicken is charred in spots, 35 minutes, flipping once. Reduce heat to 450 degrees and roast until chicken is cooked through, 10 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.