Grilled Honey-Mustard Chicken with Onions and Spinach Salad
This simple salad recipe makes enough chicken and onions for two meals -- make our Honey-Mustard Chicken Sandwiches the next day.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: John Kernick
Source: Everyday Food, September 2011
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 pounds total)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cups baby spinach (5 ounces)
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. In a small bowl, stir together mustard and 2 tablespoons honey. Reserve 2 tablespoons honey mustard for tomorrow's lunch. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill until browned and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes, flipping once. Brush with half the remaining honey mustard and cook 1 minute. Transfer chicken to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 5 minutes. Cut 2 chicken breasts into thin slices and transfer to a serving platter. Reserve 2 chicken breasts for a future meal.
Brush onions with vegetable oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until browned and tender, 7 to 9 minutes, flipping once. Brush onions with remaining honey mustard and cook 1 minute. Reserve 1/2 cup onions for a future meal and transfer remaining onions to serving platter.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 teaspoon honey, vinegar, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add spinach and tomatoes and toss to combine. Serve salad alongside sliced chicken and onions.