Roasted Eggplant with Tomato and Mint
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium eggplants (1 1/2 pounds total), cut into 1-inch rounds
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 ounces ricotta salata or feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced small
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar, plus more if desired
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons oil. Arrange eggplant rounds in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Roast until undersides are browned and release easily from sheet, 25 minutes. Flip each round and season with salt and pepper. Roast until undersides are browned and eggplant is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon oil, ricotta salata, capers, onion, tomatoes, mint, and vinegar. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired. Transfer eggplant to a serving platter. Top each round with a spoonful of tomato mixture and serve.
SourceEveryday Food, September 2011