Serve this pungent olive, caper, and anchovy spread as an hors d'oeuvre on toasted rounds, or on sandwiches, grilled chicken, and fish.
- Yield: Makes 1 cup
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August
- 1 cup kalamata or nicoise olives, pitted
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 3 oil-cured anchovy fillets
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 baguette, sliced into rounds and toasted
Coarsely chop olives, garlic, capers, anchovies, and lemon zest on parchment-covered cutting board. Place chopped mixture in a bowl. Add pepper, mustard, parsley, and juice of the zested lemon, and stir in enough olive oil to bind the mixture together. Serve on baguette rounds.