Emeril's Turkey Meatloaf
If your family loves meatloaf as much as mine, get them into the kitchen to help assemble this simple, winning dinner. Whip up some mashed potatoes and a vegetable, such as green peas or steamed carrots, and you've got a well-rounded meal. Hold on to leftovers for sandwiches the next day -- they're killer!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 ounces turkey bacon, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (3/4 cup)
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (preferably 85% lean) or a blend of ground turkey thighs and breast
- 1 1/4 cups chili sauce (sweet) or ketchup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Cook bacon, stirring, until almost crisp, about 4 minutes. Add onion and bell pepper, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add oats and evaporated milk. Let cool.
Add turkey, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 tablespoons chili sauce and stir well to combine. Transfer mixture to a 5-by-9-inch loaf pan and smooth top. Spread remaining chili sauce over top. Bake until meatloaf is cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted in center should read 165 degrees), about 1 hour 10 minutes. Let cool in pan 20 minutes before slicing.