Chopped Liver Sandwiches
Raisin bread lends sweetness to a chopped liver sandwich.
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2008
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound beef liver, trimmed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus more for spreading
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, whites coarsely chopped, yolks reserved for another use
- 8 slices raisin bread, toasted
- 1 bunch (2 cups) baby arugula or watercress
Melt butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Season liver with salt and pepper, and dust with flour, shaking off excess. Cook liver until golden brown and no longer pink in center, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, and let cool; reserve pan.
Cook onion in reserved pan until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer onion to a medium bowl, and let cool completely. Chop liver, and add to onion. Stir in mayonnaise, and egg whites, and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate 30 minutes (or up to 1 day).
Spread mayonnaise on 4 slices of bread. Divide chopped liver and arugula or watercress among bread slices. Sandwich with remaining bread.