Beef Paillards with Arugula and Capers
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, March 2006
- 2 1/4 pounds top round of beef, cut into twelve 3-ounce steaks
- Olive Oil-Herb Marinade
- 1 small red onion, cut into paper-thin slices
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 ounces baby arugula (or chopped arugula)
- 2 ribs celery, very thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
Cut open two sides of a resealable plastic bag. Place 1 steak in bag; pound to 1/4-inch thickness with a meat pounder. Transfer to a large baking dish. Repeat with remaining steaks. Add marinade. Chill 2 hours.
Place onion in a small bowl with red-wine vinegar, and season with salt; toss to combine.
Heat a grill or grill pan. Place arugula, celery, lemon juice, and olive oil in a medium bowl; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Remove meat from marinade; discard marinade. Season meat with salt and pepper. Grill until browned, about 1 minute on each side. Place two pieces of beef on each plate; sprinkle with capers. Top with arugula salad and pickled onions.