Sausage and Rice Stuffed Peppers
The rice and sausage mixture can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container until needed.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Source: Everyday Food, September 2011
- 3 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for baking sheet
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 zucchini, diced small
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/2 ounce Parmesan, grated (1/4 cup)
- 4 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 large bell peppers (any color), halved lengthwise, seeds and ribs removed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a medium bowl. Add 1 teaspoon oil to skillet along with zucchini, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
Add zucchini mixture to bowl with sausage, along with Parmesan, rice, and 1 teaspoon oil; stir to combine and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and 1/2 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with oil and arrange bell peppers, cut side up, on sheet. Divide rice mixture among peppers and top with breadcrumbs. Bake until breadcrumbs are browned and peppers are tender, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.