Grilled Sardines over Wilted Baby Arugula
Prepare fresh sardines simply, the way they are eaten all over the Mediterranean: Toss them in olive oil and grill them to crispy golden-brown perfection.
- Servings: 4
- 2 large bunches of baby arugula, trimmed
- 16 fresh sardines, gills and innards removed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
Prepare a stove-top griddle or outdoor grill. Rinse the arugula, shaking off any excess water. Arrange on a large platter and set aside.
Rinse the sardines in cold water, rubbing to remove the scales. Wipe dry. In a bowl, combine the sardines and olive oil and toss to coat. Grill over very hot coals or heat about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until the sardines are crispy and golden. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer immediately to the arugula-lined platter and serve with lemon wedges.