- 8 ounces chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and drained
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup Vin Santo or other sweet white dessert wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Crusty bread, sliced and toasted, for serving
Rinse chicken livers, and transfer to paper towels to drain. Meanwhile, heat grapeseed oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, capers, and red-pepper flakes, and cook, stirring constantly, until onion is translucent and starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add chicken livers and sage, and cook until livers start to brown. Remove skillet from heat. Add Vin Santo. Return to medium-high heat, and simmer until reduced to a glaze, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and add cream. Simmer until reduced by half, stirring frequently, 8 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to a food processor, and puree until smooth. Serve at room temperature, drizzled with olive oil and spread on toasted bread.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2009