Photograph by: Petrina Tinslay.
- Servings: 4
Source: Comfort Food
- 2 pounds ground beef, preferably chuck
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 tomatoes (12 ounces), sliced
- 8 leaves Bibb lettuce (1 small head)
- 1 small red onion, sliced
Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Season meat with salt and pepper, mix very lightly, and shape into four patties. Grill hamburgers 4 to 6 minutes per side for rare and 9 to 11 minutes for well done. If making cheeseburgers, lay cheese slices on top of the hamburgers after they have been flipped.
Serve immediately on buns (toasted, if desired), topped with tomatoes, lettuce, and onion slices.