Source: The Martha Stewart Show, September 2010
- 1/3 pound baby red beets
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 pound baby golden beets
- 1/3 pound baby candy cane beets
- 2 cups organic Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
- 2 ounces fresh chervil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place red beets in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon coarse salt, 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Wrap red beets in parchment paper-lined aluminum foil and set aside; repeat process in a clean bowl, first with golden beets, then with candy cane beets.
Place wrapped beets on a baking sheet and transfer to oven; roast until beets are easily pierced with the tip of a small knife, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Remove skins by rubbing each type of beet with a paper towel.
Cut beets into halves or quarters and transfer to a large bowl. Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil, remaining 2 tablespoons coarse salt, and pepper; toss to combine.
Spoon yogurt into the bottom of a large shallow serving bowl; top with an even layer of beets. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and balsamic vinegar; garnish with chervil and season with sea salt and pepper. Serve.